Welcome to my Life!

The year of ME, Walking, Water and Whimsey



Jeff and I

Jeff and I
Twenty-Eight Years

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Art for the week







This is our art for the week. I teach third grade and most days, I am trying to get them reading and doing multiplication so much that we forget to take time to do ART.
I have made it a point to do art with my kiddos each week thanks to my neice Heather. I have an aide that comes on Wed. and she is 78 and from Boston. She loves coming and trying our projects. The kids love seeing all of us try the same things.
So here is our projects for this week. We read a story about Picasso in our reading series, see once a teacher always a teacher, gotta keep reading. Anyhow, he had blue periods, rose periods, etc. The story told of how he never quit and always did what he wanted to do no matter what other artists were doing at the time.
My directions to the kids was to pick something of importance to you and make a large drawing of it. We needed lots of white space to fill in.
Next we took our paintbrushes and turned them over and used the "wrong" end of them. We dipped them in the paint and made pixel paintings. Small colored dots.
We had a blast and for a class of children with absolutely no patience we were able to work on these masterpieces for over an hour. It was so calming and fun. The pictures turned out great and my photos do not do them justice.
The ice cream sundae bowls are what we are making as we pass our multiplication tests. See I have a real problem making art that is not serving more than one purpose. I am working on this.
Until next week. Happy painting.

3 comments:

  1. the pixels are a great idea. wasn't it serat who painted giant paintings using just small dots? before we knew what pixels were...
    i love that your are bringing this into class. sounds like the kids are responding positively, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these pixel paintings. I am going to share this idea with my six-year-old today. I think she will really enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Art is the freedom of expression. Does it really need any other identity?

    ReplyDelete