Welcome to my Life!

The year of ME, Walking, Water and Whimsey



Jeff and I

Jeff and I
Twenty-Eight Years

Thursday, January 14, 2010

My Road

Allison is taking a human resources class and was asking her dad some questions on the phone, I admit it I was eavesdropping. Anyhow they were talking about cowpaths. As I was listening to them I realized that my cowpath is now actually a road. Let me explain. I went back to work when Robyn was in the sixth grade. So I have been gainfully employed as a teacher for seven years.
I have always felt like I was the new kid on the block. I am the new teacher at the school, or I am the new teacher in the grade level etc. I am always reading education related books, clearing out my files and reassessing them, how can I change this and be better etc. As they were discussing this cowpath, Jeff was saying that the path works, suits its purpose, but as time evolves so must the path. The need for better productivity comes to light and the path is paved.
I think that I have finally paved my path.
I am good at what I do. I had an evaluation last week and in the past my heart would have raced, my fears would have been on my face and nerves would have sent me to the bathroom fifty times prior to the supervisors appearance.
My path is paved.
I was confident, knew what I expected and helped to adjust as the lesson unfolded. I was able to recover from one student's discription of a motorcycle as a "crotch rocket" with a snappy comeback of what would an old lady like me call that. The children were engaged, light bulbs were on and I really do not need my supervisors comments on how the lesson went.
Actually, I really do not want to hear what he has to say cause I know how I did. Great!!!!
Now, I have paved my path, but I am not so secure as to believe that there will not be cracks in my paving job, or that there may not be the occational icy spot or even a four foot blizzard of snow to stop me in my tracks. I am confident and I know where my path is leading.
To educate the children I am entrusted with and to love them everyday. My road lies before me.........

1 comment:

  1. what a great analogy! this is awesome.
    please tell me that wasn't the first time you heard the term "crotch rocket"? i thought that was what that style was actually called!
    iknow you did great on your eval. how wonderful that YOU know you did great! cheers!

    ReplyDelete