Welcome to my Life!

The year of ME, Walking, Water and Whimsey



Jeff and I

Jeff and I
Twenty-Eight Years

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Power

It is amazing to me the power we let others have over our lives. We let others decide if we have done a good job, have the correct clothes on, wore our hair just the right way and such.
I have seen this power play out in my classroom. There are girls and boys in the room that have power over the other children on a daily basis. I have never understood this. I have never felt like I have the power to influence others. I have experienced the power others have over me. Do I keep a clean house like her? Do I have clothes like her? Do I have the right toys for my children?
I have finally reached an age where I do not care. I think that is what being forty five does to you. You are now in control of your own power. I do not care if I fit in, I do not care if I am liked. For I know that I am who I am and I like that person. I love my family, I love my kids in my classroom and I am who I am take me or leave me. I have the power. I am in control of who I let into my life and if I will let them give me a power surge or zap all my power. I wish I had learned this at an earlier age, but maybe I needed all the power outages to get me to where I am today. I do know that I love to helpful, I love to make small talk with complete strangers. Just ask my family and how I can talk to absolutely anyone. Some days I feel that if I open up to a stranger, who knows that may be the only person that spoke to them all day. I have learned to be careful of who I am friends with, some are just power zappers. I hope that these people find other friends that they are able to connect with, but I can't let that into my life. I need only positive power generators as my friends. It is okay to say you know I am busy, I can't take this friendship on right now. When we do this our relationships are deeper and better. So to my five close friends that read this blog. You matter to me. I do not care if I ever have 500 readers. I love that I have five of you. Power to you.....

1 comment:

  1. powerful. you are so right about owning your own power. i have learned who to let in and who to avoid, but that doesn't make avoiding the power zappers any less difficult. sometimes you can't avoid them...like when they live across the street and their kids play with yours :-) but i do know i am in control of me. i am confident in me. thank you for reminding me today...

    ReplyDelete